Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Ellen (Thinks Better) and Tips Pizza Boy $1,000

$1,000 Tip Was Great PR for Ellen D.
Martirosyan at work


As reported by CMG  yesterday, the Big Mama's Pizzeria delivery boy (who brought the pies to the Dolby Theater during the Oscar presentations) was stiffed on payment for the pies and didn't receive a tip. This faux pas went viral and to turn a bad situation into a PR opportunity, Ellen DeGeneres had the delivery boy on her daytime talk show on Monday and give him a $1,000 tip. Presumably she paid for the pies as well, although the free publicity Mama's received will reap huge sales - Nielsen Ratings Service estimated increased business for the pizzeria due to the Oscar appearance at $10 million.

Edgar Martirosyan received the $1,000 tip from Ellen. About $300-400 was collected during the Oscars from the attending stars, including Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey, Ellen kicked in the rest to bring the 'tip' to $1,000.

Regarding the historic delivery, Martirosyan said, "I didn't know.  It was a big surprise to me. They told me I'm going to deliver pizzas for writers, and when I went there Ellen came out and told me 'Just follow me'.  I realized I was on the stage. I was cool. I didn't know what was going on."  He said he was getting calls from his native country of Armenia and Russia (where he resided in Moscow).

Most viewers liked the Oscar's pizza stunt. I think it lent a 'yes, we're just like other folks' statement to celebs who seem (and in many respects are) above the common Joe.  Good luck Mama's.

No comments:

Post a Comment