Popular Posts

Friday, August 03, 2018

Selling The Cinema: What Motivates Moviegoers

Stressed: Visit Your Cinema
Yesterday I went to my local cinema (Harkins Shea 14 in Scottsdale, AZ) to see 'Mission Impossible: Fallout".  The film was excellent and not only satisfied my entertainment requirements as a high-impact, action movie but, even more, gave me something else - RELIEF. 

That's right, as I was watching the trailers of upcoming films, it occurred to me that I was sitting in this cinema and I was relaxed. No distractions, no calls, no emails, no texts. I was into the experience and I was relaxed, relieved and I have to admit -  a bit excited.

This, elated feeling, I can never get at home. If I'm viewing a movie or streaming a video at home, I'm still tethered to the damn phone, I'm still a slave to the PC or iPad, I'm not in my full comfort-zone. At the cinema, it's all about ME not Them. And that, my friends, is Marketable.

I believe, that more and more, what motivates folks to visit the cinema is relief. The moviegoing experience has become a 'stress-depressor'. A way to de-compress for a few hours and leave the outside world (and all if its pressures) at the cinema doorway - and the cinema industry should be marketing this! Because it's a Good Thing and it is a Reality.

Think about the last time you visited a cinema. How did you feel? Note: if you don't frequent the cinema than you shouldn't be reading this blog. What were your feelings as you sat down, with your corn and soda, in anticipation of experiencing a film you selected from a marquee full of choices?

What you FELT was RELIEF and it's all good!

Best,
Jim Lavorato



No comments:

Post a Comment