Popular Posts

Friday, May 20, 2011

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING ?

Getting the proverbial shaft at cinemas is becoming more commonplace then receiving Nigerian spam. This is particularly true of the larger circuits. Here are two examples of what I recently encountered:

Tale I

I'm in Las Vegas last week and I decide to go to a matinee presentation of  Fast Five at the Cinemark Century South Point Cinema.

When I request a ticket for the show the B.O. attendant asked if I wanted to see the movie in " A regular auditorium or the XD auditorium ?" " What's XD ?" I queried.  "Xtreme Digital - a big screen with big sound, it's $3.50 extra " was the retort.  Therefore, instead of the $6.00 regular matinee price the extreme admission would be $9.50.  I responded, " So what you're saying is that if I pay the regular admission price I'll be viewing the movie on a small screen with crappy sound ?"  "Well no, just that XD is on a large screen with loud sound, like, you know, IMAX " he replied.

I purchased the $6 ticket and then (naughty me) go to the XD auditorium and seated myself.  The Xtreme Digital auditorium turned out to be simply one of the Theatre's larger auditoriums.  Besides myself there were 5 other patrons for that show.

Tail II

This past Tuesday, I journeyed to the Regal Cinemas Transit Theatre in Buffalo, NY to see a matinee presentation of Priest in 3D. Price for the matinee ticket - $12.  I ordered a medium corn and medium Coke  - $12.50.  I walked into Aud. #3, it's empty, and stays that way throughout the entire presentation. I got a private screening in a 400+ seat auditorium.  Hmmm, maybe that's why the admission price was so high ?

The moral of these tales: Gouging and charging high admission and concession prices are never going to replace customer service and satisfaction as revenue/profit drivers.  What are they thinking ? How about trying: lower prices/higher volume.

Best and Happy Movie Going
Jim Lavorato

No comments:

Post a Comment