Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

In-Cinema Ads: Do Moviegoers Give Them Any Attention ?

We hear a lot about the benefits to advertisers regarding in-cinema ads. Buzz phrases abound: captive audience, demographic segmentation, market fragmentation, ad-reach, audience guarantees. But do moviegoers really pay any more attention to in-cinema ads vs. any other ads that are constantly thrown at us.
Are in-cinema ads very useful ?


I for one don't think moviegoers pay any more attention to cinema ads than they do watching any other ads on any platform.  For example, when I go to the movies and the show 'officially starts' it is normally the case that advertisements are thrown at me. These can be ads for concession items (which makes no sense as I am now seated and settled-in for a 2-3 hour movie and have already made my decision on whether or not to purchase concession items), automobiles, casual shoes, Air Force or Army recruitment, etc. After the ads come movie trailers (which can be as many as 7 or 8 but are normally 4 or 5) and are several minutes each.  Then the feature (what I came and paid to view) starts. Now, if you ask me what the ads were that I viewed I may guess right one or two.  Same on the trailers, I can remember one or two but not 5 and certainly not 8.

In many cases, the ads are the same ones I viewed on my last trip to that cinema and are, quite possibly,  the same ads even if I go to another cinema. Many times, they are ads I have already seen on broadcast or cable TV - so they are not new to me.

To me there is no connect between the ad and the movie I am viewing and the ads do not take into consideration the MPAA movie rating. I don't remember nor am I motivated by an advertisement because  I viewed it before a great movie.  And when I query other moviegoers they say the same. They find no connection between the ads and the movie.

Recently ScreenVision, one of the largest in-cinema ad runners, announced that they were launching 'Project Lynx' - a system which will track consumer behavior in and beyond their cinema experience.  Lynx is touted as being able to track  who, exactly, is sitting in the seats for any given movie and if they were motivated by the ads they viewed.  It will be interesting to see how Lynx works out.

Yes, the cinema is an immersive experience. Yes, the screens are larger than any TV. Yes, it is a less distracting viewing venue vs. the home. Yes, ads can be targeted so as to match up with movie titles.
But does all of this add up to increased brand awareness, ad recall, or (best case) product purchases.

For me the jury is still out on the impact of in-cinema advertising.  I believe it has the same impact as any type of other advertising - if the viewer has a predisposition of interest in a particular product they will focus attention, if not, it cognitively passes as not required information.

Best
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment