Popular Posts

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Where Do You Get Your NEWS?


Most don't get their news from the so-called mainstream networks.

 I don't normally go off course and write about non-cinema topics, but I came across a review of cable and broadcast news shows' statistics which astounded me. These stats came from the latest issue of 'Broadcasting + Cable Multichannel News', a trade publication of the broadcast/cable TV industry.

The title of the article, 'News Insights, Fall 2023', detailed the total cable/broadcast news networks' viewership. To my surprise, this entire segment totaled only 9.81% of all linear TV network watch-time. 

The network rankings were as follows:

  1. Fox News - 4.54%
  2. MSNBC - 1.99%
  3. CNN - 1.72%
  4. Newsmax TV - 0.57%
  5. CNBC - 0.38%
  6. Fox Business - 0.33%
  7. NewsNation - 0.22%
  8. CSPAN - 0.06%

What this tells you is that people are not getting their news from broadcast or cable the majority of the time. They simply do not watch news programming or (which is most likely the case) get it from the internet. I can surely attest to this fact, as I do not watch any of the above listed shows. I fact, when I thought about it, I get most of my news from webinars, podcasts, or online sources, such as YouTube and Twitter.

The golden age of news programming is over, replaced by marginal news operations, which in many cases do not represent news or investigative reporting but a mirror of what the political parties decide what is newsworthy and what is not. 

By: Jim Lavorato, Entertainment Equipment Corp.


No comments:

Post a Comment