Popular Posts

Friday, December 04, 2015

A New 'Star Wars' - Can It Get Any Better

Lucas, Happy With The Disney Deal
George Lucas, "I haven't seen a single frame of the new 'Star Wars' ".  In an interview with The Washington Post, Lucas described his selling of Lucas Films to Disney as a "divorce" from the franchise.  He confirmed that he had absolutely no involvement in the new movie adding that Disney "decided they didn't like the stories he had outlined for the sequels."

Toshiro Mifune
"I can look over someone's shoulders on this.  You're either the dictator or you're not. All I would do is make them miserable. I'd make myself miserable. It would have ruined the vision."  Having not seen a clip of the movie as yet, but definitely planning on viewing it, Lucas added, "Now I'm faced with this awkward reality, which is fine.  I gotta go to the wedding.  My ex will be there, my new wife will be there, I'm going to have to take a very deep breath and be a good person and sit through it and just enjoy the moment." Lucas sold out to Disney for $4 billion in 2012 and with it the greatest franchise in film history.

On another 'Star Wars' note .......  It was revealed recently that Toshiro Mifune, the great Japanese actor, turned down the chance to play one of two key roles in the 'Star Wars' saga.  In 1977, George Lucas approached Mifune and offered him the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi.  Upon Mifune's refusal of the role, Lucas offered him the role of Darth Vader, but was turned down for that as well.

Kirosawa with devotees Lucas & Speilberg
Mifune starred in a number of films by the greatest director ever (in my opinion) Akira Kurosawa (who Lucas idolized). In fact, the whole 'Star Wars' plot is based upon a Kurosawa film entitled 'The Hidden Fortress' - a 1958 film that Mifune starred in.

Mifune is not alone in his turn-down of roles for the original 'Star Wars' films.  Others, included Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Burt Reynolds, Robert DeNiro, and James Caan.

No comments:

Post a Comment